Tuesday, July 4

REVIEW: Mystery

Island Of TearsIsland Of Tears by Troy Soos
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

ISLAND OF TEARS, Troy Soos, 2001, #1 Marshall Webb, reporter, Rebecca Davies, social worker, NYC 1892. At the Opening Day ceremonies at Ellis Island, a reporter makes the acquaintance of a nice young immigrant girl and decides to follow her story as she adapts to life in America. When a few days later he finds she's gone missing, he tries to track her down.

I very much enjoyed this author's earlier, baseball-centric historical mystery series: smoothly written, funny, AND baseball! Plots were good too. (and one of them was about my beloved Red Sox). His writing here is even better, richly plush, almost Victorian in its depth and complexity. But heavy, and dark. Excruciatingly dark.

I suspect the plot is a good one; there are likely lots of twists and many interesting characters. But I don't know for certain, and won't, since I will not be finishing this book. I read fifty pages and, sadly, must consider it as "Did Not Finish". This is far too dark and, yes, grubby for me, too much ugliness and dirty streets and truly foul people. This historical mystery may be true to its setting, it may be an accurate representation of the period as well. But I did not enjoy reading about it in those fifty pages; the book has over 200 pages total. But that's just me. YMMV.

View all my reviews

No comments: